Friday, June 5, 2009

Zambrano wins 100th

Carlos Zambrano picked up his 100th career victory Friday and hit what proved to be the game-winning home run. Not bad for someone coming back from a six-game suspension.

The perennial preseason Cy Young hopeful led the Cubs to a 2-1 win over the Reds. He's 4- 2 on the year and off to what should amount to another 15-win season.

It's no secret Zambrano credits God for his talent. In 2005, he specifically told La Voz Nueva (a publication for Hispanics in Denver, Colo.) that "it's God that gave me these talents. The physical is God-given."

As for pointing to the sky on his way to the dugout between innings, Zambrano told the Chicago Sun-Times' Lacy J. Banks this in 2006:

"I give thanks to God for that inning, be it a bad or good inning. I don't want people to think that I'm some big ... you know. I just want people to see the love of Jesus and that Jesus is true. That's why I try to show the people that I have Jesus in my heart."

Zambrano's 100th comes one day after Randy Johnson's 300th.

No comments:

Post a Comment